Artists Guidance Notes
Dedicated teams of volunteers have run Emsworth Arts Trail since 2011, when Havant Borough Council withdrew their support. Through their hard work the Trail has become hugely successful within a very short time. The main committee and publicity group do the bulk of the work but we endeavour through e-mail communications and regular meetings to involve all Trail Artists. Everyone is expected to help in some way, however small.
A few rumblings of discontent have forced us to develop clear guidance to participating artists, which will make it fair for everyone taking part in the Trail.
The closing deadline is 8th January 2018. The entry form should be completed online or as a Word Document and emailed with an accompanying photograph to Stuart Watson firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Trail Guide Images
Please think carefully before selecting your image for the Trail Guide; maybe ask friends and family for their opinion. This image is the most powerful way you have of attracting visitors. On a quarter page entry, images will feature at 4 cm high × 6 cm wide.
Images should be provided in high-resolution in any common format – jpeg, pdf, etc. Please ensure your image file name incorporates your name.
In addition to information about you and your work, if you live outside the town centre, you might want to mention the free parking outside your venue or your lovely garden. Again, it’s worth asking family and friends to read it to make sure you are making the most of this editorial space.
Who can take part?
The Emsworth Art Trail is open to all artists and makers whose work will be displayed at their home, studio or at a venue within Emsworth. As we are a walking trail, we cannot accept any new venues not covered by our Trail map*.
* Artists from Southbourne and Westbourne who took part in the 2017 Emsworth Arts Trail will continue to be included.
What kind of work can I exhibit?
Only your own original work may be exhibited on the Trail.
While it is preferred that artists open their own studio, workplace or home for the Trail, it is evident that not all artists have a venue suitable to invite hundreds of visitors. In this situation artists may join together in a studio or hire a suitable venue within the Trail area.
Venues: E.g. the Community Centre, Museum, Brookfield Hotel etc.
It is up to them how much they charge individuals or groups to use their venue but all individual Artists and groups using that venue during the Trail must pay to be featured in the Trail Guide (see below).
Entry Fee £50 – Every artist taking part in the Emsworth Arts Trail 2018 must be featured in the Trail Guide and pay their entry fee.
Art Groups that meet regularly in Emsworth should contact the organiser to discuss fees.
Groups must have at least one representative who attends the Emsworth Arts Trail meetings and liaises with their group, keeping them up to date and involved with all aspects of the Trail.
No refunds can be made after 15th January 2018.
Also included in the fee is Third Party Public Liability Insurance for each venue during the period of the Emsworth Arts Trail. The insurance will not cover any stolen items from venues or damage to artwork etc. This would need to be covered by your own household insurance or alternative artist insurance.
Please note that neither the Emsworth Arts Trail Committee nor any committee members can accept liability for loss or damage to personal property or for personal injury sustained by members of the public while visiting venues on the Arts Trail, nor for any misprints, misrepresentations or failings by the contributors or contributing organisations.
We ask you to consider the care and safety of our visitors and complete a risk assessment of your venue prior to the opening of the event.
Please read these guidelines and apply as relevant:
- Always have a companion with you during your opening hours.
- Tell you neighbours what is happening. Invite them?
- Do not leave anything valuable unattended.
- Tidy away (out of sight) personal possessions.
- Keep cash secure.
- Lock or bolt access to private areas.
- Inform your house insurer in good time.
You must make a formal risk assessment before the Trail starts.
- Assessment may include:
- List dangers, photograph them, take notes and remedy the situation. This shows you are not negligent.
- An assessment may include: Giving thoughts to potential hazards on your property, especially for children, the elderly, the disabled and animals. Steps, pools etc.
- Studios and workshops often have hazards. Remove sharp or dangerous implements and poisonous substances to a safe place.
- Warn people of steep steps, low beams, passing traffic. Put up temporary signs.
- Display a clearly visible warning that the public enters at their own risk.
- Ask someone to walk round your venue with stranger’s eyes. They may spot odd things, which may be a hazard that you no longer see, as they are so familiar to you.
Terms of agreement
By registering as an artist on the Emsworth Arts Trail you are expected to help in some way, however small, and are asked to agree the following:
- To only display and sell your own work.
- To open and supervise your exhibition on the dates and for the times advertised.
- To ensure that directions to your venue are prominently displayed.
- To ensure that the disclaimer provided to you is prominently displayed.
- To actively promote the event by distributing Trail Guides and flyers.
- To conform to basic Health & Safety requirements in relation to access, materials and equipment and carry out a risk assessment
- To provide feedback on visitor numbers to enable the organisers to put together statistics.
- To ensure that all signage is removed from public highways immediately after the last day of the Trail.
- To provide a sample of work for the preview exhibition on 11th April 2018.
- Communication is really important, so please attend and read the minutes of our full meetings.
- All fees must be paid by the cut off date – 15th January 2018
- Once your application is made it is final and no further changes can be made.
- You must attend the meeting and collect your Trial Pack on 28th March 2018, or send a representative.